10 Things you must know before taking holidays in Dubai
Dubai has become a very popular tourist destination. There are few things you must know before taking holidays in Dubai. These tips will help you to get the best from your Dubai vacation.
1. Best time to visit – Dubai has extreme weather conditions. Few months of the year are extremely hot. The best time to visit Dubai is from November to March. This is the “winter” period in Dubai. The temperature is mild (average 20C).
2. Avoid Ramadan – Ramadan is the fasting month of Muslims. Ramadan usually falls in September-October period. There is a daily fasting time, which approximately starts around 5:00am and ends around 5:00pm. NO ONE (including tourists) can eat, drink or even smoke in public places during this time.
3. Visa requirements – You may have to apply for a visit visa before visiting Dubai. Citizens of few countries (first world countries such as USA, UK, Australia etc) can get visa on arrival. Check with your travel agent to confirm the visa requirement for your country.
4. Liquor – Visitors cannot buy liquor from liquor shops in Dubai. Only residence who are holding a liquor license can buy them. Visitors have to go to a bar in a hotel or to a nightclub to get liquor.
Tip: Buy liquor from the Dubai duty free on arrival.
5. Car rentals – Taxi fare is expensive in Dubai. Rent a car is the best option. Do it in advance.
6. Driving – Dubai is a left hand driven state.
7. Accommodation options – Dubai has a range of accommodation options. So do not spend unnecessarily on accommodation. There are cheap but quality 2 start hotels. If you are travelling with a big group then renting an apartment is the cheapest option. Do not let your travel agent to limit your options.
8. Shopping – Dubai is a paradise for shoppers. Shopping malls, gold and cheap electronics will tempt you to buy even unwanted stuff. Have a shopping budget and stick to it. “Discount” is a common word in Dubai. You must always ask for a discount, because sellers are always keeping a margin for discounts.
9. Language – Arabic is the main language in Dubai. Most of them can understand and speak English. But make sure that you speak slowly for them to understand properly.
10. Law – Dubai has become one of the safest places on earth because of tough laws. Respect the law and Dubai culture.